Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lonely Planet, movies are a man's best friend.

Today I was lonely, alone at home and couldn't reach any of my friends. So, I watched two movies almost back-to-back: 1971 and Honeymoon Travels..

1971 was a good patriotic movie, well-acted out, good storyline, tragic ending. Hindi movies are getting more and more mature by the day. What really struck me in the movie was the joke made by Gultu. Punjabis stay both in India and Pakistan.
"So phir Pakistan kyon banaya?" "Aage se nahi banayenge."
We are already divided in so many different ways, and now the OBC angle? Well, that's another Pandora's box.

The reviews for Honeymoon Travels were not great but I found the human relationships and the play on marriage and honey-moon interesting. The storyline and concept was new as well for a Hindi movie. Relationships were explored, the humanity in each one exposed, diversity celebrated. The one that really fascinated me was the Superman couple.. That was really funny!!
"We fight each other once every 16 years."
Clever, very clever!

There was a time when books were a man's best friend. Then I went to KGP, and I discarded books for the company of living beings. Cut to 13th May, 2007 and movies have become my best friend today. Tomorrow, I'll discard movies for the company of living beings.
But wait, weren't we all planning to go to the AID-Boise movie at the theatres for Tara Rum Pum..

Nay, movies are a man's best friend!

2 comments:

2T aka Vamsee said...

Come to A my man..you may not have the time for books, but friends certainly!

---fellow fachcha.

Me, myself and Sumant. said...

Thanks Vamc. Look forward to seeing u there..