Thursday, January 10, 2008

Encounters of the marital kind.

First post for the year. So, by default, has to have masala. And in good measure, while I am at it, am gonna spike up the drink.

Ok, I am new to the marital encounters and while I do offer consultancy services to many a friend, many of whom have been blessed by my advice, this was a first for me.

In all earnestness, this was like the driving test that I took in the US. I go to the driving school. The instructor tells me go drive the car. I take the car out into the streets, do my best to make sure I don't ram into that truck, and scare the bonkers out of every car that dares to come near me. Fifteen minutes later, the guy says let me out, you passed the test. I go what the!, smile and get my license.

Ok, so lets play "Meet the parents."

Conventional Indian arranged marriages go: Guy and his family and uncles and aunts go to the gal's house. The gal comes in with a tea tray laden with goodies, and delights everyone with her culinary delights, and shyly says my name is Mira.

Fast forward to 2008, I had the gal's family come over to meet me at my house. No gal, just Mommy dear and Papa dear, who wanted to take a good hard look at me. Talk of men's liberation or the changing times. Whatever, I come in with the tea-laden tray.

Mommy Dear: "So, beta, did you make this samosa?" I nod my head in glee. "And how much 'moin' did you put?" This is worse than an I-banker's interview but hell I am prepared for this! "Two tbsps!" Mommy dear pacified, its Papa bear's turn.

Pappa Bear: "And what are your hobbies?" I shag. Well, couldn't tell him that, so I talk about my stamp-collecting and coin-collecting interests. Papa Bear is impressed. Beta's gonna take good care of my stamps and coins, he thinks..

Well, mission accomplished. Mommy Dear and Papa Bear gave the green signal. Now I move to the second round of interviews -this time with the gal. But then that's another story, another day!

3 comments:

ArSENik said...

By far your best post ever; wayyy better than all that serious mind-fu$% stuff you keep writing about :) Had a good laugh! Will be waiting for details of Round II with bated breath.

Me, myself and Sumant. said...

I am waiting for round 2 as well..

Anuyaa said...

Tooooo Cuuuteee…hilarious..i almost visualized the whole scene, u entered the room holding the tea tray..burst out with laughter. It’s the era of women liberation you see… things have started going the other way round...i am also waiting to hear about the round 2